Sunday, July 19, 2009

I'm Engaged...

So my life has changed course and in a fantastic way.

As of June 10, 2009 I have been engaged to Ryan.
Most people may know our story but if you don't here's how it goes:

As of January Ryan was working late and I was getting out my regular time of around 6ish. We both had a trying day and were talking about it and stuff that had happened at work. Well fortunately there was a Red Wings game on that night... YEAH! Well he said he wanted to go out and watch the game and asked if I wanted to hang out and watch the game at a local restaurant. I agreed and met him there after he got out of work.

This continued for a few more games and we went to a Grand Rapids Griffins game. After the Griffins game he then asked me to go out with him. I said sure - which I amended with absolutely... I was slightly surprised at the question - honestly. So we dated for a while.


I had little hints thrown my way about getting married here and there but nothing really gave it away - except that I knew what my answer would be if I were to be asked.
June 9 there was a Red Wings game (yes this is what brought us together in a way - also my home made Red Wing schedule
calendar! HAHA) and I was told we were going to go to his parents house to watch the game with them. Sweet that should be fun...

Well when I got to his parents house I surprised his mom because she didn't know I was coming over (Red Flag #1) but still didn't think anything of it. We watched the game and it was not a very good game but that's behind us now - so we think. However, during the game Ryan was sending text messages and was holding the phone differently as to possibly hide the messages from me (Red Flag #2) but still didn't think anything of it.

Well after the game he had to run out to my car to get a golf club out of my car for his mom. When he came back in I asked if I could have my keys back as I was going to go home becasue we drove 2 cars to make it easier than having to go out of the way to bring him home - or so I thought! I was told at that time I could not have my keys back (Red Flag #3) and to get in his car we were going to go somewhere first. He grabbed a blanket and off we went. By this time it is about 11 pm and I'm wondering what hes got up his sleeve. After the 3 red flags you would think I would know he was up to something... but no I'm not that quick when it come to reading between the lines or picking up on subtle hints.

We ended up at the beach and climbed at least 150 to 200 stairs. We g
ot to the beach and Ryan told me that because I like to look at the stars he wanted to do something I like to do. I was very appreciative, but thinking in the back of my mind... "Do we have to do this at 11pm?" At this time we layed on the blankets on the beach and were talking about things as if we might get married in the future. One of the questions was if I wanted to have him ask Dad for permission. I said I would like that but it would not be a make it or break it deal. (Come to find out that when we went to my cousins wedding the weekend before he took my dad golfing to ask him there if he had permission to marry me.) We talked about other things we would like and want in a wedding and in a marriage.

Before you know it there is an alarm that goes off. It was set so that we don't stay too late as we both had to work the next day. What the alarm was really for was not so we didn't stay too long (good excuse though) as it was so that once it hit 12:00 AM it was then June 10.

For those of you that may not know - June 10 is special because my mom and dad, my dad's 2 brothers, and my dad's mom and dad all got married on June 10 or close to it. I had at one time told Ryan that I wanted to get married on June 10 and explained how it was a special day.

So after the alarm went off he started getting fidgety. I saw a box open but didn't think anything of it (seriously didn't think anything like a ring). Then I saw another box - then I looked up and saw Ryan down on one knee in the sand holding an open box with something ( I couldn't see at that time) in the box. At that point he asked his question and I answered saying YES! (I was told I was not allowed to say sure this time around! HAHA)
After that we made our way back to the car to take a few pictures and he gave me a rose (which lasted a long time). We got back to his parents house and made a few phone calls 1st to mom and then his sister who was sitting up waiting for the news.
Then started the wedding planning!
Here is the update on that:
  • We have set the date to March 6, 2010.
  • We have reserved the church and the reception.
  • We have started working on the smaller yet important details.

No comments:

Post a Comment